We stopped in Wisconsin for some cheese. It was windy and cold.
We stopped in Mitchell, South Dakota to see the world famous corn palace.
The most impressive site was Devil's Tower in Wyoming. We all agreed it was our favorite. As soon as we saw it, Dad started singing the song for the aliens. I joined in but we didn't see any. Devil's Tower was also the first National Monument thanks to Teddy Roosevelt. I still don't think that warrants his image on Mount Rushmore.
On the way back to Denver, we stopped to see the wagon rutts cut into the rock by those traveling on the Oregon trail including some of our pioneer ancestors. Dad had a moment and thanked each ancestor by name for sacrificing so much to make the journey west. I have to admit that I even had a moment. It really is amazing what they endured.
Overall, it was a great road trip and I loved spending time with Mom and Dad. I'm grateful they let me part of their trip and were so accommodating so I could pick up those Midwest states I was missing. We drove 4 extra hours just so I could be in North Dakota. I now have 49 states. Oregon, here I come!



2 comments:
What a fun trip you had. I can tell dad is enjoying retirement. That's great. Thanks for sharing the pictures and telling us about your trip. I love it and love you!
How is it that you just have Oregon left? That is so random. Well you are tied for first with Connie but she has a hard one. Although I have heard rumors of an Alaska trip while I am on my honeymoon. I still think they picked that time just so I couldn't go.
Post a Comment