Thursday, April 23, 2009

BOLDER BOULDER-HERE I COME!

April 23, 2009

BOLDER BOULDER, HERE I COME!

One of my goals this year is to complete my 9th Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day. I did some training in the winter and spring with Dean White and Arvin Leany but nothing really serious. I have enough time to prepare after my two week trip to Illinois but I knew I would have to work hard if I was to be ready by race time.

I arrived home Saturday evening on April 11th, I don’t run on Sunday and then I had to fast for the next two days for my 13th colonoscopy which took place on Wednesday. The fasting went very well as did the colonoscopy because I cleaned out good for the first time in three years and the doctor found no polyps. He told me I could wait for five more years to have another examination because I had gone at least four years with no polyps but I told him I would see him in two years-I don’t intend to die of colon cancer when it is so preventable with a regular colonoscopy. I did walk two miles during the week and also four miles the end of the week.

This week I had my appointment with Dr. Burnbaum. We agreed to increase my sinemet medication from two pills per day to three. I shake a little more and shuffle more. My right toes also cramp more often. He had offered the increase three months ago but I turned it down because sometimes there are increased adverse reactions when the dosage is increased. I am not worried about the gambling or sex addict reactions but I am concerned with sleepy or dizziness as possible effects. After my doctor ‘s appointment, I walked four miles, then 5.2 miles so today I decided to walk the full 10k route, being 6.2 miles. I did it without hurting and without the extra pill-I will start that tomorrow. I now have to work on getting stronger and reduce my time by run-shuffling a little. But I do know I can do it. I have climbed ten 14,000 foot peaks, so I want to do at least 10 Bolder Boulders.

Bishop Burton, Presiding Bishop of the church will be our conference visitor. It is going to be interesting-two youth talks are assigned and one talk each assigned for my counselors-that is it. Everything else will be determined when he arrives. I wonder what my talk will be. We will enjoy having him in our home. He gets back from South American at midnight on Friday and must be here the next day at 1:00 p.m.-he is driving.

K. K. Summers

1 comment:

connie summers said...

Good job with the training dad. I have been training hard as well. Should be a good Bolder Boulder year for my 10th one.