Thursday, January 29, 2009

SECOND TRY-REUNION BIO

KELLY SUMMERS-MY LAST FIFTY YEARS

1-24-09

My life since graduation from Monticello High School fifty years ago has been one of adventure, satisfaction and opportunities. My preparation time included two year at Brigham Young University followed by two years as an LDS missionary in the Northern States Mission in Chicago, Illinois. I then discussed what I would be when I grew up with my father at the Cow Camp north of Dolores, Colorado and he stated if he had it to do over, he would have become a lawyer, so I decided to be a lawyer. With that decision made, I finished two years at BYU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Accounting followed by three years at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law graduating in 1968. It was in Berkeley I met, courted and married Clarissa Eames, who was teaching school in the Bay Area.

I went to school in California with the intent to stay in that state but soon found there were too many people there for this cowboy and looked for someplace closer to home to live. After graduation from law school and passing the bar in 1968, I went to work for the law firm of Golden and Mumby in Grand Junction, Colorado and worked at that firm for forty years. It became Golden, Mumby, Summers, Livingston and Kane RLLP by the time I retired in 2008. During my law practice I also served in many part time positions such as Grand Junction City Judge (7 years), Deputy District Attorney (3 years), Bankruptcy Trustee (about 15 years) and paralegal instructor at Mesa State College (about 25 years.) I served as President of the Colorado Municipal Judges Association, President of the Mesa County Bar and member of the Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors.

Six children were born to Clarissa and me at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, Kate, Carol, Connie, Kenny, Kimberly and Catherine. They all followed in their parents footsteps and graduated from BYU. They all make their parents proud. In my church, I taught early morning seminary and institute for nine years, seven years as a counselor in three stake presidencies, six years as bishop and I am in my fifth year as President of the Grand Junction Colorado West Stake. I have climbed Lone Cone Peak plus ten 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado, run two half marathons and one marathon and this year I will complete my 9th Bolder Boulder Race (10k). I have ridden my mountain bike from Montrose, Colorado to Moab, Utah (about 290 miles) on the Tabeguache and Kokopelli Trails. I love watching deer around my house, BYU football (season ticket holder since 1982) going to the Monticello Temple, my family and friends and plan of being buried in view of the Horsehead . Life has been good.

1 comment:

johanna said...

You have many accomplishments in your life. You have been a busy man and continue to keep going full speed ahead!