KEN SUMMERS MEETS ELIZABETH KELLY
My mother, Elizabeth Kelly graduated from Weber College in 1927 and signed a three year contract to teach in the San Juan School District because they paid the highest wages in the state. She rode the train from Ogden to Thompson where Superintendent Hanson picked up all the new teachers and drove them over dirt roads to Monticello. After two years, she had enough of Monticello and asked to be released from her contract but Superintendent Hanson refused and she had to teach another year. That Fall, Ken Summers arrived in Monticello to run the L. H. Redd Livestock Co. sheep operation. He had just returned from an LDS mission in California where he had met A. J. Redd who convinced him be in charge of this 22,000 head sheep outfit. Ken talked in church about his mission in California and Beth who had visited a relative in Long Beach that summer came up afterwards and introduced herself. They were married about 10 months later in Logan, Utah and they never left Monticello.
K. K. Summers
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I love reading and stories about those who came before me. Way to go Grandma for heading out to a little town for a new experience. It really paid off.
What a fun love story! I can't wait to read more about them.
I just love reading/hearing the stories of the Summers families. I may not be a biological daughter but feel a part of this wonderful family. They were there when I needed someone the most. Thanks for sharing these most precious and loving stories with the family. Family in to be valued and in this home it truly is. Thanks dad for sharing your stories with me all these years. They have truly enriched my life and have given me that desire to be some what like you. I love you!!
I didn't realize grandma was a teacher too. It's in our blood on both sides.
Post a Comment