KENNETH KELLY SUMMERS: HEALTH REPORT CARD 2010
September 22, 2010
I have just finished my annual physical with Dr. Motz and give a report on my health:
EYES
I have worn glasses since the 6th grade and been terribly nearsighted-20=600 in one eye and 20=800 in the other. I have a scar which surrounds about 2/3 of my optic nerve in my right eye which probably occurred during my development in the womb. But, I am correctable to 20=20. I haven’t had my glasses changed in about 10 years because my eye sight is not getting worse although I have the beginnings of cataracts but they are slow growing. I stopped by the DMV to see about my eye sight for a driver’s license and they renewed it for another 5 years. I don’t drive in the large cities like Salk Lake or Denver.
THYROID
I watch by thyroid very carefully because there is a direct link between radiation and thyroid cancer. Between atomic bomb testing in Nevada and radiation for acme while in college, I received excess radiation. My blood work and examination this summer by Dr. Huffaker showed the thyroid is normal.
EARS
It has been about 6 years since my last hearing test so I had one this summer. I have lost a little bit of hearing in the ultra high ranges but score 100% of being about to hear and understand when the technician talked to me.
COLON
Because Mother died of colon cancer, I have had 13 straight years of colonoscopies. Last year I had been clear of polyps for about four years so the doctor had me skip a colonoscopy this year. I will have one next year.
PROPSTATE
This was my eight year since prostate surgery and I had a 0.0 PSA again. The most important tests are at five and ten years. I haven’t worried about prostate cancer after my surgery.
PARKINSON’S
I still have Parkinson’s disease and joke with caregivers to see if the new pill is available which will cure it but I know that is a long shot dream. I feel very blessed with how I have lived with my PD. I believe I was diagnosed in 2006. I ran (actually walked) my 10th Bolder Boulder this year and made my lifelong planned trip to Europe this summer with my wife and five daughters. I felt very fortunate to be strong enough to complete this grand experience and thank my wife and daughters who helped me physically so much. I can still accomplish my stake presidency work and plan to complete in three years the normal nine year term. I am not as strong as I use to be and I get tired easier. Drinking a Coca Cola gives me a boost.
My doctor told me this Spring that recent studies show that exercise is the best medicine for PD and that exercise can arrest PD and possibly retard it. I get feeling good or it is inconvenient to walk and exercise so I don’t and then I pay the price with stiffness. Things have settled down now for me so I can walk regularly and it makes a difference. Dr. Burnbaum in my September visit thought he was under medicating me so increased my Sinemet from 300 mg to 450 mg per day-I just take pills three times per day instead of twice a day. I can’t see a big difference if I miss taking a pill except I seem to get restless leg syndrome more. Exercise seems to make more difference than pills. I have a church member in my stake that has to take a pill one hour before he wants to get out of bed. Another member can’t take Sinemet and will have to go to a nursing home. My cousin Nigel Crowe has Parkinsonism; not PD-it is different but has the same medication His movements get very jerky if he doesn’t take his Sinemet on time. Dr. Burnbaum has patients that take 1000 to 2000 mg per day so I still have a lot more medication that can be given me.
GENERAL HEALTH
Dr. Motz is very satisfied with my general health. My cholesterol is low, my heart and lungs sound good and my skin looks good. I am blessed with good health. I am still amazed I can get up at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and participate in church work and activities until 7: 00, 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. Clarissa takes good care of me. She is my rock.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment