Wednesday, December 23, 2009

report 12-7-09

REPORT 12-7-09

Today is my “take it easy day” or my “hangover” day to rest after a busy Sunday. I first experienced how tired I was on Monday when I was bishop but then I had to go to work anyway on Monday. Now I am retired, I can just relax a bit after a busy Sunday. Today I got up, read four chapters in the Book of Mormon, fixed breakfast, read my emails and then the Salt Lake Tribune, the Deseret News, the Daily Sentinel, Cougarfan.com and took out the garbage. I then came home and slept for a couple of hours before lunch and then in the afternoon took a two mile plus walk. Tomorrow it starts again in church work with a missionary conference in the morning and Stake Presidency in the evening Tuesday, a four ward missionary meeting Wednesday night, High Council on Thursday, a trip to Monticello on business Friday and to drive Montezuma Canyon and go to the temple of Saturday.

Here is a report of my activities:

1. Yesterday, Fast Day, was busy as usual. I started at the 7:00 a.m. Church Education Meeting followed by our weekly meeting with the missionaries and then attended Fast Meeting at the Fruita 4th Ward on the Redlands, traveled to Fruita to set apart a new elder quorum presidency, back to the Stake Center to attend Fast Meeting at the G.J. 2nd Ward and then interviews at the stake center starting about 2:20 p.m. I interview a couple wanting to be sealed in the temple which will require First Presidency approval, ( gave them a blessing that they would be able to pay tithing) and then interviewed a recently returned missionary followed by two first time temple interviews, one sister who is a convert who will get married to Scott Hart next month and the other a convert of two years that grew up in Moab. That was followed by my own temple preparation instruction. I got home about 7:00 p.m., particularly tired because of the fast.

2. When I went to the temple the first time, no one gave me instructions of what to expect. I had a great experience because I had spiritually prepared but realize that the temple experience would be more meaningful if those who go to the temple for the first time are better prepared because they have been instructed in what will take place. This mini seminar is one of the most satisfying things I do as stake president. I invite parents, spouses, future spouses and escorts to accompany the first time temple attender. Pres. Dean, after he saw what I did, put together a three ring binder that contains the material and pictures to look at while the presentation is given. The presentation is accompanied by the Spirit and a common response I receive from those who have already been to the temple is “I wish I had this instruction before I first went to the temple.” I give those who have already been to the temple a chance to add their feelings and testimony. I find there is a real bonding between those who have been to the temple and those who are going for the first time. I also have the escorts agree to show the first timer their temple clothes before going to the temple. Since we are in the Monticello temple district, everyone has to have their own clothes before they go to the temple. Yesterday, a Sister Watkins, originally from Moab, received the instruction as well as Scott Hart’s fiancé. I will write a separate report for my “Spiritual Book of Remembrance “ about Sister Watkins.

3. At stake conference, I addressed two topics. First, I talked about not offending people in church and keeping politics out of the church. I explained that members of the church do not to be formed and shaped by the same cookie cutter but the church is a large fish net that can hold all kinds of different people who share their testimony in common. I also talked about the history project for the next year:

a. Write your testimony by Christmas and keep it for your own records.

b. Write no more than a three page family history by March 21st which will be turned into you r ward history representative.

c. Participate in your ward or the stake history if requested.

d. Write your “Spiritual Book of Remembrance” this coming year by recording for your own records your spiritual experience.

4 The response has been satisfying. Bishop Stagg’s 7 year old daughter already has written her testimony. I have commitments from Steve Hoffman and Crystal Hart that they will write special experience they had where I was involved and I promised Bishop McCall that I would write up the Craig Shelley experience for his review. My response to experiences I am told about will now always be, “Is it written down?”

5. I received a call this week from the Waughs who I home teach that I give Jody Waugh a health blessing. I took Bro. White with me. Sister Waugh gave me a very special thank you letter when I home taught last month.

6. I visited member s of the church in their homes with Bishop Trainor in G. J. 4th Ward and also gave Sister Park a blessing about her present pregnancy. She has been pregnant 15 times and has four children. I also visited members with Bishop Standifird of Fruita 3rd Ward. I sure have good bishops.

7. I received a call from Mike Perry informing me that he and his wife were on their way to Montrose to see the newly born baby boy that Justin and Suzy Perry has just received for adoption. It is a miracle baby. A non-member social worker in Montrose that knows Justin through his detective work was working on a day she wasn’t originally scheduled to work and was informed of a baby being born in the local hospital that would be available for adoption. She immediately when to the hospital and when she saw the baby, she saw Justin’s face in the baby and knew that Justin and Suzy were to get the baby. They were already approved as adoptive parents through LDS Family Services and the appropriate contacts were made so that now Justin and Suzy can adopt this child.

8. I worked all week on Summers Minerals. I organized Kelly Minerals LLC so I can transfer my interest in Summers Minerals to my children. Jean has her LLC organized and Kathleen is working on hers. It was good to talk to my sisters, Kristi and Bobbie this week. It was good to hear Ann’s positive voice.

9. I had bishop’s meeting this week We are going to have the exhibit, “Reflections of Christ” in our stake this coming year plus a choir from Utah Valley University. I also set apart three new high counselors, Aaron Hart, Larry Benson and Bud Hawley.

10. The last week I have been involved with a lady missionary who is in the MTC in Guatemala who received a “dear Jane” letter from her fiancé. He fiancé was providing part of the support for the missionary. Fortunately, I had met the director of the Guatemala MTC when I was there this August so there has been a high level of trust. I think everything will work out okay and that the missionary will stay and be a great missionary.

11. I have gained five pounds that last couple weeks. I walked two, then three, then four and on Saturday five miles and I have lost the five pounds. My hope is to walk 6.2 miles before Christmas to match the Bolder Boulder distance just to prove to myself that I can do it. We have had a great Indian summer this fall but it has gotten cold his week-one degree on Friday, a new record for the date. I wait until it is in the 20s before I start to walk. I have also used one walking stick which really helps.

K. K. Summers

No comments: